Take your pick. There's more than enough going on in and around Berkeley
this weekend. It's jammed packed with events and activities. The
National Weather Service is calling for sunny skies on Saturday with a
high of 76 degrees. Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 82
• SATURDAY - Berkeley Pride Day, 10 a.m., Veterans Park, Forest Hills Parkway,
Bayville. Vendors, food, music, topped off with fireworks at dusk. Rock
n Rhythm takes the stage at 5:30 p.m., followed by Total Soul at 7:15
• SATURDAY - Barnegat Pirate's Day, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Co-sponsored by the Barnegat Chamber of Commerce and the Barnegat Township Recreation Department.
• SATURDAY - Night of the Stars, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.,
Jakes Branch County Park, 500 Double Trouble Road, Beachwood. Volunteers
from the Astronomical Society of the Toms River Area (A.S.T.R.A.) will
be on hand to share their astronomy knowledge. Bring your own telescope
or view the skies through theirs. Program is free, open to all ages.
• SUNDAY - Island Beach State Park Beach Plum Festival, 9
a.m. to 4 p.m., The Friends of Island Beach State Park hold their 16th
annual festival, including beach plum tours, jelly-making demos,
children's games, food, music, crafters, lifesaving demos by lifeguards,
seining on the bay with park naturalists, and environmental and
non-profit exhibits. The event will be held on Ocean Bathing Beach No.
1. Admission to the park is free, but a $5 donation to the Friends is
suggested to help support the festival.
• SATURDAY AND SUNDAY - Ship Bottom Irish Fest and Shamrock 5k Walk/Run, 10th and Shore avenues, Ship Bottom.. Event gets underway both days at 9 a.m. Saturday
features live Irish music, Irish crafts and gifts, food vendors, the
Ocean County Emerald Society Pipe and Drums and Irish step dancers. The 5k race will be held on Sunday at 9 a.m., followed by a Gaelic Mass at 11 a.m. For more information, go online at www.lbiaoh.com/festival