Rip Out the Floors if You Were Flooded

Mold can grow in water-logged flooring


Mold could be growing right now in flooring of homes and businesses flooded by Sandy.

Point Pleasant Beach is strongly recommending that "all floodwater-soaked building elements such as such as wallboard, insulation, trim and flooring be removed."

The exposed areas of wood need to be dried and sterilized prior to the replacement of new material, says a notice from Point Pleasant Beach.

"All floodwater-damaged electrical equipment, including switches, outlets, breakers and other devices, must be replaced," the notice says.

For more information about how mold, which breeds toxins, dust mites and bacteria, can threaten respiratory health, and how to treat and remove mold, click here.

The town's notice says, "Once the town has concluded storm-related debris removal, at a date and time to be determined, owners of properties will bear the responsibility to remove all debris at their own expense thereafter."

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) has a temporary office at the Bay Head Firehouse on Bridge Avenue "to serve all affected communities," the notice says. All Sandy-damaged businesses and primary residences should register with FEMA for potential reimbursement.

Gov. Christie's office issued the following regarding contacting FEMA:

"Register by phone at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 for those with hearing or speech impairments. Specialists are standing by at the toll-free numbers seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, until further notice. Or you can register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. You can also apply through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone by visiting http://m.fema.gov/ and following the link to apply online for federal assistance."

Maggie Hart-Zuhowski November 26, 2012 at 05:43 PM
If you need electrical work - "All floodwater-damaged electrical equipment, including switches, outlets, breakers and other devices, must be replaced," the notice says. my husband Paul (we live in Point Pleasant) can assist...Lots of references- quality work. contact him at 732-604-0226
Maggie Hart-Zuhowski November 26, 2012 at 05:46 PM
P.S. Based on JosephGhabourlaw comment-Paul works under a licensed electrician and permits are obtained and work in inspected by electrical inspector.
jo picinic November 26, 2012 at 06:43 PM
If you need a european cabinetmaker please go on to apkitchens.com discount to all sandy victims or call 732-267-3615 many refrences and inspection of all my work can be seen in many ocean county homes ....Thank You Anthony Picinic!
Michael W. Donoghue November 27, 2012 at 02:19 AM
Storm repairs - Complete interior's. Demo-insulate-sheetrock-tape and spackle-trim- paint - flooring. Complete Homes, Kitchen and Baths. Michael W. Donoghue of Howell, NJ Carpenter General Contractor 25 yrs. See our Face Book Page. Licensed and Insured N.J.# 13VH00970900 D.E.P.#26703
praty November 29, 2012 at 04:56 AM
Yeah , damaged floors are the worst part. It will be so good to replace them, and start off with a new fresh look. http://www.floorworld.com.au/floors_mornington.php


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »