.

Berkeley Hopes To Take More Sandy-Damaged Homes Down; Safety Issue Addressed

Berkeley officials hope that more residents can get additional money to take down more than the 22 homes funded by FEMA for removal.

During the council's meeting last week, residents and officials said the storm-damaged homes have become a safety hazard, with one person saying: "I chase kids out" of some of the structures damaged by Hurricane Sandy.

Berkeley officials noted that some people simply walked away from their homes after Sandy. Mayor Carmen Amato, however, said township officials will remain vigilant in addressing the issue.

"We are keeping the ball rolling," he said 
John Cobb February 19, 2014 at 03:21 PM
Berkley is the kind of town where you can't walk away from any property, you can't even give it away if there's any taxes owed. Lots that they have made unbuildable thru new regs and requirements for escrow for roads that will never be built.
Chief Wahoo February 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM
What has this Mayor done for the taxpayers of Berkeley ??? Just another waste of a public taker
sandy bottom February 20, 2014 at 08:03 AM
hes cleaning up the beachwood plaza?it looks good
Gemini February 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM
It would be nice if some of the vacant moldy homes were torn down. Trying to rebuild a home next to one of these hazardous eye sores make me wonder if I am doing the right thing.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something