.

UPDATE: Two Firefighters Injured When Ceiling Collapses At Fire in Holiday City

One firefighter airlifted to Jersey Shore University Medical Center, one taken to Community Medical Center in Toms River

by Patricia A. Miller

Two Berkeley Township firefighters were injured tonight when a ceiling at a Holiday City home collapsed while they were trying to put out the blaze, Manitou Park Fire Chief Will Jubert said tonight.

The fire started in the bed of a 2013 Toyota Tacoma and quickly spread to the attic and the rest of the house at 116 San Carlos Drive, police said.

The ceiling caved in on Manitou Park firefighter Chris Applegate, 19, Beachwood. Pinewald Pioneer Fire Chief Bill Dasti, 39, Bayville, was injured as he attempted to extricate Applegate, police said. 

The original dispatch was for a vehicle fire in front of the home, Jubert said.

"Within minutes, it was re-dispatched as a structural fire," Jubert said.

Jubert - who was reached at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune - declined to discuss the firefighters' conditions. Applegate was flown to Jersey Shore, Dasti was taken to Community Medical Center in Toms River, where he was reported in stable condition, police said.

The blaze is under investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office and the Ocean County Fire Marshal's Office. More information will be released tomorrow, Jubert said.

The Bayville Volunteer Fire Company and the Beachwood Fire Company also responded. No one was home when the fire broke out, he said.

Patch will post more information when it becomes available.



sharon remtory March 17, 2014 at 08:12 AM
well, the home occupants are probably living elsewhere and the fire broke out in an unattended and un monitored home.
Anonymous March 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Actually Sharon, The truck that caused the fire was not the homeowners. Therefore, it's the truck owners fault for parking an unsafe vehicle in someone else's property, which caused the homeowners to lose their home while they were away at the time. Have you heard of vacation? Just because the homeowners weren't present at the time of the fire doesn't mean the home was "un attended or un monitored".
A M March 17, 2014 at 02:46 PM
I don't remember having to pay to read any of the news reported on the Patch so why don't you give them a break. Really, its not like its costing you anything.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »