Sponsors of all kinds have come out to support Sunday's planned "Football Party" for the township's first responders, who assisted and protected residents during Hurricane Sandy.
Bob Everett, president of the Berkeley Little League, which is hosting the event from 12:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Volunteer Community Center at the Moorage Baseball Complex, said response from area businesses has been terrific.
"No one has told me no," he told the Berkeley Township Council on Tuesday night.
But he noted they do not know how many people to expect to attend.
"We could use a lot more food," Everett said Thursday.
The event, for first responders, township workers and other dedicated "storm warriors," as Everett calls them, includes football -- "We will have extra big screen HD TVs courtesy of Appliance Gallery for all the football action," he said -- ping-pong tables, Wii video games on the giant screen for the kids, as well as other games to keep the kids busy.
"Dr. Mark Lynch from VIP Chiropractic will be helping to soothe the aching muscles of the tired workers with free massages from 12:30 to 2:30," Everett said.
"There will be free food courtesy of the many restaurants and donors, with lots of home-cooked specialties from a grateful community," Everett said, thanking Mayor Carmen Amato and the Berkeley Township Council and administration for their assistance.
If you would like to donate to the effort, Everett said they are still accepting donations of food.
"Snacks, breads, drinks, desserts and dishes are all greatly appreciated as well as check or gift card donations," Everett said, noting the event is not using any tax money. Any excess funds will be donated to storm relief efforts, he said.
To donate or volunteer, please contact Berkeley Little League at 732-330-5900 or email BerkeleyLL@comcast.net.
Everett thanked the following businesses and individuals who have donated to the effort so far:
- Appliance Gallery, Kevin Packen, Route 9, Bayville
- Richard’s Sub World & Deli, 299 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Yesterday’s Restaurant, 938 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Bayville Quality Meats, 447 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Philly Soft Pretzel Factory, 309 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Schiano’s Pizza, 451 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- House of Pizza, 210 Ocean Gate Drive, Bayville
- Oh What a Bagel, 657 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Jersey Mike’s Subs, 333 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Diesel’s Subs & Wraps, 950 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- The Cove Waterfront Bar & Grill, 905 Bay Blvd, Bayville
- Manhattan Bagel, 333 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Nonno’s Cakes & Catering, 247 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Berkeley Shores Homeowners & Civic Association, PO Box 134, Bayville
- Mr. & Mrs. Brian Gately, Good Luck Dr, Bayville
- Hiering, Gannon & McKenna, Tom Gannon, 29 Hadley Ave., Toms River
- VIP Chiropractic, 222 Serpentine Dr. Bayville
- Big Mike's Pizza, 468 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville
- Hess, 125 Atlantic City Blvd, Bayville