He may not be the most popular guy in Berkeley Township.
But Township Tax Assessor Eric L. Zanetti has agreed to speak at an informational session sometime in the near future, Township Council President James J. Byrnes said.
Byrnes said at the April 24 council meeting that he had met with Zanetti earlier in the day to discuss holding the event within the next several weeks.
"Anybody who wants to come and address the tax assessor can," Byrnes said. "He will go over his duties."
Residents who want to address their individual assessments can meet with Zanetti in the council chambers room after he gives his presentation, said Byrnes.
Some residents have been clamoring for Zanetti to come to a council meeting almost since the assessments after the 2010 revaluation came out.
The controversial revaluation lead to the creation of the Berkeley Township Taxpayers Coalition in 2010.
Residents with waterfront homes on the mainland and in the South Seaside Park section of the township saw their property taxes skyrocket when the new assessments came out in 2010. The township's last revaluation was in 1990.
Township Council members in late 2010 hired Lawrenceville-based Martin Appraisal Associates to review the revaluation, which went on the books in October 2010.
Company President Richard J. Carabelli said during a public meeting just over a year ago that his firm found that Certified Valuations Inc. had performed the revaluation according to industry standards. But some areas of concern were also found, he said then.
Overall, 84 percent of the assessments were accurate. The remaining 16 percent had data collection errors, he said.
Amenities like half baths, decks, pools, fireplaces and extra bedrooms may not have been included in the faulty assessments, Carabelli said.
"There was a litany of items," he said then. "If they (Certified) had one wrong, we failed them. It was a simple pass/fail."
But some of the problems with the assessments were not Certified's fault, Carabelli said.
"There were a number of homes they were not given access to, so that had to estimate," he said
Carabelli recommended that Zanetti take another look at two sections of the township - some oceanfront portions in South Seaside Park and some models in the senior villages - and re-examine the assessments.
The report also recommended that Zanetti develop a "compliance plan" which would update assessments in the future.
Berkeley Patch will publish the date and time of the event as soon as it becomes available.