Summer may be on the wane, but there's still plenty to do over the Labor Day weekend in and around Berkeley Township.
Lifeguards will be on duty through Labor Day at Island Beach State Park's two bathing beaches. Beaches will also be guarded on Sept. 8 and Sept. 9.
Lifeguards will be on duty only through Labor Day at White Sands Beach. That's it for the rest of the year.
Island Beach State Park is offering a number of events this weekend. Some are free, some require fees. They include:
• Friday - Full Moon Hike, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., Island Beach State Park. The fee is $5 per person. Discover "whooo" is awake when the sun goes down. For more information, call the park at 732-793-0506.
• Saturday - Island Eco-Hike, 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Free. Explore the unique barrier island ecosystem with a park naturalist. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call the park at 732-793-0506.
• Saturday - Time-travel Trail Hike, free - 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call the park at 732-793-0506.
• Saturday - Sunset Paddle, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Join park naturalists for an evening paddle by kayak and watch the sun set over Barnegat Bay. Ages 14 and up. Fee is $25 per person. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call the park at 732-793-0506.
Other events on tap for this holiday weekend include:
• Friday - Bingo night, 6 p.m. Tri-Boro First Aid Squad building, J Street, Seaside Park
• Saturday - Head out to the lawn in front of Borough Hall at 6th and Central Avenues for Seaside Park's 40th annual Arts and Crafts Show. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, call 732-793-3700.
Want to avoid the Labor Day weekend crowds and noise? Head out to Double Trouble State Park on Pinewald-Keswick Road for a peaceful walk along the park's sugar sand paths. Check out the cranberries ripening in the bogs. The park is open from 8 a.m. until dusk.